Minehead United Reformed Church
We are a very friendly and welcoming bunch, so we are told, so do feel free to join us as well. We would love to see you!
If there’s anything you want to know that isn’t here, please contact us.
Join us for worship each Sunday at 10.30am
Minister: Rev Viv Henderson
Bancks Street, Minehead,
Somerset, TA24 5DJ
We are pleased to say that services have resumed with appropriate covid precautions including social distancing in place.
5th Revd Viv Henderson - Communion
12th Mrs Jane Sefton
19th Revd Viv Henderson - Harvest
26th - to be confirmed
Relaxation of COVID regulations.
Although we are no longer required to do so, we have been advised by the government and our denomination to continue to observe hand sanitising and keeping socially distant particularly if face-masks are not worn.
It is also strongly recommended that contact tracing logs should continue and that
face masks be worn when moving around the building.
They can be removed when seated eg for refreshments.
Singing is no longer forbidden in worship, but so as not to share any germs, it is recommended that we
sing behind masks.
Those exempt from face masks, or choosing to exercise the freedom not to do so, should sit well away from others and respect those who feel that mask wearing should continue.
As a church we wish to continue the practice of keeping each other safe.
During August we will have coffee mornings each Wednesday in the church hall: 10.30am -11.30am.
All who are physically well are welcome to attend these times of refreshment and fellowship to renew old friendships and make new ones. We particularly wish to include those who have lost loved ones during the eighteen months.
Note that our Craft and Chat and Homegroup meetings are still suspended
We are situated in Minehead, a West Somerset holiday destination (that has a Butlins holiday complex on its outskirts).
Minehead is a popular retirement area and so the age profile in many Churches is older rather than younger! Our fellowship is a very friendly and caring one and you will always be welcomed.
Our Church is near the Town Centre and was established in 1905. It has an excellent Sanctuary: and the adjoining hall and kitchen facilities are used for a range of community and Church fellowship activities during the week.
Worship on Sunday Mornings is led either by our Minister, the Worship Team, Lay Preachers or visiting Ministers. Our weekly congregation averages between 30 and 50. There are regular prayer and Bible study groups as well as various links with the local community.
Sunday Worship at 10.30am
Visiting a church can be intimidating for many people especially if you don't know what's happening. We want to make you feel welcome and make visiting church a comfortable experience for you.
A typical Sunday service includes:
- Music - A selection of hymns and worship songs led by pipe organ or keyboard.
- Bible Readings - We believe that God has revealed himself, and his truth, through the Bible.
- Prayers - Prayers are led from the front of the church by the minister or a church member.
- Offering - The offering is an opportunity for regular church members to give financially to work of the church. As a visitor you won't be expected to give anything.
- Sermon/Teaching - This will be based on the Bible and it gives us time to explore how we can understand the Bible for our lives today.
- Communion - Once a month (1st Sunday). We share bread and wine together as part of our Service. Eating the bread and drinking the wine for Christians is a reminder of the life and death of Jesus, and all that it means.
- Café Style Worship - On the third Sunday of the month. This is held in the Hall.
On most Sundays, tea and coffee is served in the Church Hall after the Service, as a time to chat, and get to know each other better!
- House Group - fortnightly, on a Friday afternoon.
- Craft & Chat - Every Tuesday 10am to 2pm in the Church Hall. Bring your latest project and work on it in good company with help and advice if needed. Currently crafts include rug making, knitting, tapestry, Dorset buttons and card making. Drop in for drinks, biscuits and optional light lunch in friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
- Thursday Prayer Time - Thursday mornings from 10.00am to 10.30am, in the Church, to share our prayer needs - with a mix of silent, led, open and contemplative prayer.
- Thursday Coffee Morning - After the prayer time, at around 10.30am we have a coffee morning in the Church Hall. Everyone's welcome (you don't have to come to the prayer time and there's also tea if you'd prefer it!).
- Church Magazine
- Mission & Outreach - We also support the work of Minehead Street Pastors and activities arranged by Christians Together in Minehead.
The Church Hall
As a Venue
The Church Hall is used as a venue for a number of our activities and by other groups from the town including:
- Townswomen's Guild
- Acorn Folk Club
How to Find Us
Minehead URC is located towards the centre of Minehead on the corner of Bancks St. and Irnham Road, next to the Library and just 100 yards from the Parade.
We have a car park with level disabled access to the Church and Hall.
The Car Park is accessed from Irnham Road (opposite Lloyds pharmacy).